Translate

Monday, January 25, 2016

Heart Shape Boxes Tutorial

To begin the heart shape frame, I used the Cheery Lynn Designs - Heart to Heart Doily die.  This set has four hearts with die cut hearts within the shape of three dies and one clear backing die for solid shape.  The one clear backing die isn't shown in this picture.
Find your heavier paper for the base of the heart.  I used 8 1/2 x 11" 200 lb. weight paper but actually I could have used 110 lb. weight paper which is easier to find in stores. 
 
The length of each of the base is 8 1/2".  The 1 1/2" base is glued on top of the white heart and is on the outside of the heart.  The 1" base goes on the inside of the bottom white heart.
 
 
I used my fingers to curl each base to make it easier to form on the base of each white heart.
Using the 8 1/2" x 1 1/2" bases, I folded about 1/2" on top of each base and I applied 3/8" Scor-Tape on the inside of each base. 
 
 
With the one folded part of the first base, I started from the top of the heart to the tip on the outside of one white heart.  (I followed the embossed edges of the die cut) 
 
The next base will be glue to the folded part on top of the other base and after finishing taping this one to the heart, the folded part will join with the other base on the bottom. 
 
 
 Now use Scor-Tape to connect the folded edge to the other edge. 
 
Do the same with the 8 1/2" x 1" but make sure to move this base slightly more towards the inside the heart to make the box fit. 
 
Now, you are able to start decorating your box.  I glued each pink hearts to the white hearts and cut out the beautiful larger heart of Cheery Lynn Heart-to-Heart doily.  I had to use the same larger heart to cut out the image to perfectly fit inside this heart.  Don't worry, this larger heart has that opening to fit your picture. 
 
 
 
 
Using your decorative paper, glue this paper on the side of your heart.  I love adding ribbon using Scor-Tape to the side.  It also hides any flaws that I made.  You can add jewelry, chocolate or even gift cards to your love ones, children or grand children. 
 
See more of my heart shaped boxes at http://hillfarmcards.blogspot.com/2016/02/lavender-valentine-box.html
 
 


4 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

wow! great tutorial, Nancy! And such lovely papers, ribbons, and finishing touches on each box. Thank you very much! hugs, de

Anne Temple said...

This looks amazing! So glad you shared your step by steps on how to make this.

Lori Kobular said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how you made this awesome heart box!

Patricia St Martin said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Love what you did.
Hugs Pat